Energy 2017: Avoid patchwork, targeted action required
Special Report pursuant to Sec. 62 of the Law on the Energy Industry, Bonn, 6 October 2017
- Monopolies Commission recommends regional network charge for renewable energy generators to limit costs of network expansion
- The EU emission trade system should be strengthened by including additional sectors to achieve greenhouse gas reduction targets
- Monopolies Commission calls for adjustments with respect to the awarding of concessions for network operation to relieve consumers
Railway 2017: Construction sites in competition policy
Special Report by the Monopolies Commission pursuant to Sec. 78 of the Railway Regulation Act, Bonn, 3. August 2017
- Deficits in competition in the railway sector continue to exist.
- A competitive funding framework needs to be based on a thorough cost-benefit analysis of railway, road, air and water transport.
- Monopolies Commission recommends to revise the railway regulation act.
- In passenger transport, competition is hindered by the prevailing cooperation structures for common tariffs and ticket sales.
Conditions and perspectives in the German health insurances system
Special Report by the Monopolies Commission pursuant to Section 44(1)(4) ARC, 7 March 2017
- The Monopolies Commission criticizes competition deficits in statutory and private health insurance, which reduce the efficiency of the health insurance system and burden the insureds with unnecessary cost.
- The Monopolies Commission argues for more leeway for the health care management in statutory health insurance and advocates developing the risk adjustment scheme (Risikostrukturausgleich) further to eliminate distortions of competition.
- The Monopolies Commission proposes a concept for rendering the change of private health insurance providers more attractive and recommends to facilitate the combination of tariffs whenever private insurers merge.