7th Sector Report Energy (2019): Competition with new energy
Sector Report on Energy Markets pursuant to Sec. 62 of the Law on the Energy Industry, Bonn, 18 September 2019
- The spread of electric mobility is hampered by monopolies: Municipalities should promote competition between different operators in the development of charging stations.
- Insufficient competition in tenders for wind energy: more open space and permits needed.
- Wholesale electricity trading with problems during price peaks: control of abusive pricing should be adapted.
Monopolies Commission critical of ministerial authorization in Miba/Zollern case
Bonn, 19 August 2019
Today, the Federal Minister for Economic Affairs and Energy granted Miba/Zollern an authorization to proceed with the merger subject to conditions and obligations. In April 2019, the Monopolies Commission, which advises the Federal Minister during the ministerial authorization procedure, advised against the authorization because, according to its analysis, the restriction of competition resulting from the merger is not outweighed by special public interests. In a separate statement in August 2019, the Monopolies Commission also assessed the intended conditions and obligations and found them to be inappropriate and in some cases legally inadmissible.
You will find here:
the press release of 19.08.2019 (in German language only)
an opinion on the envisaged ancillary provisions (in German language only)
the special report in full text (in German language only)
7th Sector Report on German railway markets (2019): Quality and Competition on the Railway
Sector Report on German railway markets pursuant to Sec. 78 of the Railway Regulation Act, Bonn, July 25, 2019
- Railway sector suffers from poor punctuality and a poor condition of the network infrastructure.
- Monopolies Commission recommends to make originators liable for delays (fault-based liability) and to revise regulation in order to enhance punctuality and to foster a quality-oriented modernization of the infrastructure.
- Competition is an essential driver of quality enhancements. Strengthening competition requires to effectively decrease track access charges.